Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Homeschool Memoirs #1...Study Spot

For the past three years, I have homeschooled in : the dining room, Caleb's room, the kitchen table, the living room, and anywhere else where we could squeeze. It was maddening trying to find pencils and math books every morning, not to mention where I last left the history book.

But not this year! We have been very blessed to moved into a wonderful house with a lot of room and an extra room in our basement that "could be used as a second kitchen" (so our realtor told us) She must not have realized the need for a school room.



This room is where so much of our schooling gets done. (Caleb does like to sneak off to his room since the girls occasionally "distract him") I did have bigger plans for it this summer, putting in new lights, a fun wall color, some art....none of which got done, but I did ,after all, just move. None of that really bothers me right now, because when I grab my coffee in the morning, sometimes dressed, sometimes still in my p.j.'s, I walk down to that room and know exactly where my books are. I know where their pencils are, and all their workbooks are put in their baskets on a shelf....and did I mention the built in shelves that were already in place?

This may not look organized....but everything is according to subject. These were built in by the original owners who grew grapes and made their own wine, so they were wine racks, but must have been thinking about a homeschool family who desperately needed shelving for all these books.

I had never heard of Strawberry Rhubarb wine before...

Mike about fell over when I had it all up. "Where did you have all that at the old house?" he said. "Oh, a little bit here, a little bit there." I have been banned for awhile from curriculum fairs...

I love this room...it may have no windows, but really has kept my temper in check in the morning and has helped with my sanity...This has been my favorite year of homeschooling.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here! Here! for sanity savers. The wine racks are too funny!

momofmhasr said...

That is too much! Great room.

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Got any of that strawberry rhubarb sitting around? Sounds pretty good right about now....

partyoffivetn said...

No, but some days I wish I did!

Sarah said...

Those shelves look wonderful! Looks like a great room.

tammy said...

Great use of spare space and those wine racks. Wonder what the old homeowners would think! :) I was laughing about you being banned from Homeschool Curriculum Fairs. hehe

LaDonna said...

I found you!!! Thanks for letting me know that you'd moved your blog. The room looks GREAT. And I'm with you on the being banned from curriculum fairs! :)

grace4cyn said...

Love your school room Donna! Our school room has no windows also, but I LOVE IT!! I love you wine racks!

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

Oh, thanks! I'd forgotten about the states class on Monday. I don't think we'll make it....

JM said...

Oh, I love your room. Especially that wine rack. What a blessing.

I was banned from curriculum sales, and bookstores, and Amazon.com...roflol.

JM

Tami said...

I LOVE your room! I found your blog through Angie's. I noticed that we're both homeschooling moms of three. Your blog title caught my attention because I was going to name mine "party of five" also, but changed my mind. Anyhow... I'm a bit envious of all your space for organizing. It looks GREAT!

Tami