Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Ugh...my house

Whose idea was it to move anyway? Why did I find a house I loved so much more than mine that I wanted to put me and my family through chaos for the last two months? I have asked myself those questions everyday for the last two months.
We weren't even looking to move. We were happily finishing our basement and I was one weekend away from a trip to IKEA to furnish the basement, when I found the house online. Since that day, our basement has been on hold. New ceramic tile was laid in my entry way and 1/2 bath downstairs, new carpeting in my bed room.
This is the new tile and the view is entry way going into our 1/2 bath..I really like the design in the doorway...
I spent two weeks sanding and repainting the kitchen cabinet doors to try and make them look better than they did thanks to the lady who lived here before us and painted them in ONE DAY. Oh yes, we also replaced our ugly kitchen counter tops, which look amazing now.
Here is the old counter top, which had a pink undertone to it, and wasn't attractive.
This is what we found when we took the old counter tops off...the ugly wall paper that used to be all over my kitchen...it was my first project when we moved here...
These are the new counter tops, which don't cover the ugly wallpaper, so we are putting up some tile for the backsplash...
We have had two couples come through who "loved the house, but hated the back deck." I guess everyone but me knew my back deck was about to fall apart. The last couple that came through wanted to get an estimate on the deck, and then would "subtract that from the amount of their offer." That was last Thursday and we haven't heard anything. So, Mike and I decided that since he is off this week, we would replace the back deck too.
I have been really pumped and high some days (not literally, although, that may be an option) and low many days. And I am now wondering what in the world are we doing? No, it doesn't make me want to stay in this house even though we have done so much to it. It makes me want to enjoy the big family room in the other place, get a new dining room table to look awesome in an actual dining room, and watch my kids get to ride their bikes in the street at the end of a cul-de-sac. But, that is not up to me.
So, for now, I will enjoy that my husband is outside doing all sorts of handy man things, (I bet he isn't enjoying it) replacing the back deck while on the phone to our friend Robbie asking what part needs to be done next. Mike isn't exactly the handy man type, but I am proud of him for all he is doing to help us get into the new house.
Here is my handy man hard at work...
Yikes...and I am afraid of heights...
And here is the view from our back deck...we are probably crazy to leave...but that nice big yard back there...it goes straight down hill and is only good for snow, which we apparently don't get in TN anymore...

No comments: