Saturday, November 10, 2007

An Ode to Pennie...

Last week I somehow got talked into playing soccer with my son's coaches (other) soccer team. Donnie, his coach, has three teams. His oldest, 13-16 year old co-ed team, went undefeated this season and only allowed one goal. So, they challenged the parents to a game. My friend Caroline bullied me into playing. (just kidding, Caroline)
So, at noon today, us "old folks" ran for four 20 minute quarters against these young kids. I sat out the first quarter along with another mom, whose son plays on the co-ed team. We got to talking and she asked me if I homeschooled. When I said yes, she said, "do you have two darling little girls, and do you teach gymnastics?" "Yes," I say, "you sure know a lot about me" She said " I read your blog!" and she also let me know she is not, indeed a stalker. I told her how I think in blogs, but I don't always get around to typing them. When it came our turn to take the field, I began blogging in my head. She said "I'm reading it right now."
Playing soccer was a lot more fun than I thought it would be. It has been quite a few years since I have played, and I am talking P.E., not organized soccer. So, the first time the ball came to me and they are all shouting "Come on Donna," I backed away from the ball a bit and told Caroline "I'm scared!" But, soon I got in the game and had a great time playing, even getting down to shoot a goal. (which I missed) I played two quarters back to back, which is 40 minutes on legs that really hate running.
And let me tell you about my team mates. As Caleb said "Miss Caroline sure is a good kicker." She was my hero by being brave enough to play in the first quarter, and I give her more kudos for the graceful fall she had, and bounced right back up, without us having to "take a knee." And Pennie... She sure knows how to grab an opposing player and put their arms behind their back to get the ball away from them. A bit illegal, I know, but hey, it looked good. She also had some good kicks, one of them flying overhead.
And then there is Mike. I have to say, I think he was the star player of our team. While he didn't score a goal he was always there to shoot at the goal, and was so good at passing. I give him the team MVP award, but I am biased...
And so, this blog is for Pennie. My new stalker, blog lurking friend, who I found out has two sons who are very talkented on the guitar and mandolin. And for Caroline, who talked me into playing, and whose legs I hope are real tired. I actually got all this down for you today Pennie and Caorline, I hope you enjoy....It was fun playing soccer with you today, even if I now feel my legs may fall off...
* Post A Comment!
Comments
Nov. 10, 2007 - Thanks for the Shout Out!
Posted by Stalker/Illegal Grabber
Hey! I was telling my boys about our encounter. I went to show them your blog....and there was my Shout Out! I knew I could count on you....and you even spelled my name correctly! Now that I'm out of the closet, perhaps I will have to give up some of my solitaire/e-mail/phone time & get my own blog....Nahhh, it's more fun to just lurk. :) Your family is just as sweet in real life as it is in virtual world. I hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving and may God Bless your family. Pennie
* Permanent Link
Nov. 22, 2007 - I hope noone I know...
Posted by QueenoftheHill
...ever discovers my blog! (Outside my homeschool buddies.) What if I'm saying something nasty about them? Although, any lurker/stalker of yours, Partyoffive, is welcome to lurk/stalk at my site, too. ;-)

No comments: