Monday, July 2, 2007

A Patriotic evening...

Last night, at the Ampitheater behind our courthouse, we had a "Patriotic Concert." This is the second year I know of, that we have done this. Our church has been invited to sing in it the last two years, but I have found myself too busy to do this. Last night I regretted that.
First of all, I had no clue how big this thing was. We were a liitle late getting out of the house. Mike couldn't decide if he was going or not, since he had been throwing up all afternoon feeling under the weather. (He didn't go) Anyway, I drove over to the parking lot and the closer I got I realized parking was not going to be easy. So, I decided to park across the street at the big Baptist church with plenty of parking...none there either. So, I went down a block and parked at my old faithful parking lot...my church.
The kids and I walked over to the Greenbelt, as we call it, and it was amazing the amount of people that were there. Smallworld went last year and told me how good it was, so I thought I would stroll up and sit with them. (did you even go, Sarah?) There was no way I could find anyone in that crowd. So, we sat, after getting our 25 cent hot dogs (gaack) with no condiments, and enjoyed the music.
Now, I really like patriotic music. I am one of those people who get real choked up singing it, and know all the words. Mom has this tape we would listen to over and over again on the Fourth of July sitting on the front porch watching fireworks. I loved that tape (she will probably break it out on Wed., if it is still working...) Anyway, one of my favorite parts was when they sang the "theme song" to each branch of the military, and the men and women from each branch stood up. And they sang Battle Hymn of the Republic (probably my favorite) . Great is Thy Faithfulness, This is How if Feels to Be Free, Oh Happy Day, America the Beautiful....
It was a great evening. At the end people were standing, waving their flags, and singing. So, next year, I hope to not be "so busy" and take time out to practice with this choir, and be a part of this fun celebration of our country.
* Post A Comment!
Comments
Jul. 2, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by ApplesofGold
That sounds like a wonderful time!! I get choked up when singing Patriotic songs, too. Holly
* Permanent Link
Jul. 2, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SmallWorld
No. After all my talk about how great it is, we opted out. My kids were CRANKY. They were actually in bed, asleep, by 8:15, and woke up 11.5 hours later much refreshed! But I'm glad you went!
* Permanent Link
Jul. 3, 2007 - July 2
Posted by Anonymous
Yeah, I wondered what those sounds were coming up our street. I had to turn the gas blower on extreme loud to cover the noise. Next year, I'll sit with Sarah at church and crank that baby up the moment someone starts singing a sappy song about America. X-Man
* Permanent Link
Jul. 4, 2007 - we were there
Posted by onfire
but I guess you didn't see us, what with all the crowds and such ... believe that? I don't know all the songs, but I used to know the anthem and the pledge of allegiance because I worked one summer in new york state ... and they all learned our anthem, too

No comments: