Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Cub Scout Controversy


Caleb's first Pinewood Derby with his cub scout pack was last week. He and Mike were excited about making the car together, so with door closed , they sanded, hammered, and painted in Caleb's room. They emerged with a fun little race car; green, with flames on the hood, the number 14 in silver on the top, and a silver bumper. It was a good looking car. I had nothing to do with it, it was all theirs. And I didn't know it could be such a "controversy" as we are calling it, at the Derby.
Caleb's car was fast. I would pump my fists with him race after race that he won. We were having a great time. He ended up in second place! So, as we were celebrating , I was called over by a friend of mine, who's tone of voice got me a little worried. She says to me " Caleb's wheels are illegal." OK, I think what does that mean...? She goes on to tell me that because we used illegal wheels , he can't go on to districts, but that they will let his second place finish stand within the pack. I was a bit stunned by this. rules are rules I understand, but I had no clue as to anything illegal or not on the car, so I told her to go talk to Mike.
So I come to find out that, that afternoon, Mike was hammering the wheels on, and one broke, so he went to Hobby Lobby and bought a new set, same size, they just had.....holes on the side and didn't say Boy Scouts. I felt bad for him because enough people found out that he felt like he had done this horrible wrong and was going to be labeled a cheater. He just wanted Caleb's car to race. So now, here we are, surrounded by this "controversy"!
Caleb didn't know what happened, he doestn' care that he isn't going to districts. And we couldn't go that day anyway...But, he had so much fun, and watching his excitement with each win was priceless. So now, the beloved cheater car sits on his desk, when he is not playing with, and he plays with it often...illegal wheels and all.
* Post A Comment!
Comments
Mar. 6, 2007 - Tone, huh...
Posted by TheMonkeyParade
I thought you all were gonna fix the wheels and let him race. What happened?
* Permanent Link
Mar. 6, 2007 - Way to go Caleb!!
Posted by arajbrown
I'm so sorry about the 'cheater' thing ... is it Mike you're worried about being labeled or Caleb ;) It is funny that in a pinewood derby "pinewood derby" wheels wouldn't be sufficient. So, in keeping with the current debate at the co-op ... Mike would be most likely to be a fined and suspended NASCAR crew chief!! But the bright side is ... you get to be the cute blonde wife on the wall! at Daytona!
* Permanent Link
Mar. 6, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SmallWorld
I don't think we've EVER gone through a Pinewood derby without SOME kind of trauma! It's amazing how that competitive nature comes out at these things. Jesse would get sooo upset because of some kid's unsportmans-like behavior...which in turn, of course, made HIM unsportmans-like....phew! And to think I get to do it all over again for 5 more years! ;-)
* Permanent Link
Mar. 7, 2007 - They are both winners in MY book!
Posted by QueenoftheHill
I think it is fabulous that Mike and Caleb built that beautiful car together. I'm sure that that is the REAL goal of the whole Pinewood Derby project, right? Those are memories that will last forever.
* Permanent Link
Mar. 8, 2007 - I'm Just Glad ...
Posted by Dad2Three
I'm just glad Mike decided to take the battery-operated engine out of the little secret compartment beneath the decals ... I told him that was a BAD idea. You know those Ford guys, always trying to figure out a way to whoop the Mopars.
* Permanent Link
Mar. 9, 2007 - The worst thing...
Posted by fyftn
... was that the National Scout Leader overseeing all pinewood derbys for North America called the next day. He told me that I had to appear at a BSA pinewood derby review council. They proceeded to ask questions for 3 hours then suspended my driver's license until after Caleb is done with Webelos. Oh well...
* Permanent Link
Mar. 12, 2007 - Pinewood
Posted by Anonymous
I am just glad that my son gets his rightful place at the district race. Year's of trying to "fix" these races hasn't paid off but a little trip to Hobby Lobby worked. WHY oh why didn't I think of this earlier??? We owe a big thanks to Mike! He's not a cheater in my book but a hero...the life size photo of him being chastied by the race official is framed in my room.

No comments: