Wednesday, March 7, 2007

Bekah at 5



Today Bekah turned five. It's always hard to believe when my kids have a birthday that another year has flown. And so, as I laid next to her last night watching her sleep for the last time as a four year old, I reminisced over the last five years with this little girl. Bekah had a rough start at life. First, she wouldn't eat well, then slept in a suitcase because she was jaundiced. But, at 12 days old, as I was burping her, she stopped breathing. She had had a cold, but what we learned later was that she had RSV. The drive to the hospital felt long and horrible as I wondered what I would do if I lost this little girl.
The next four days, I saw God work in my life like never before. My mom asked me how I was able to hold myself together and I can honestly say that God's peace filled me with more than I could ever imagine. Later, Bekah's pediatrician asked me if I was a Christian, and I told him yes. He said he could tell because of the peace I had. So, as I watched her last night, I remembered that scary time, but wow, it was awesome to see God work in that situation.
And now she is five! And she is full of life and smiles and laughter, and love. And the last five years have been great with her. I told her today that she could do what she wanted because it was her day. She said she wanted to play with just me. So, at nap time, we played with princesses, tried on new clothes for the spring and painted our nails. What a great priviledge it is that, of all the things she could pick to do with her day, she chose me. And so, I think I became her birthday present....but really, it was a present for me.

* Post A Comment!
Comments
Mar. 7, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by TOSPUBLISHER
Happy Birthday to Bekah! She is a little miracle. www.TheHomeschoolMagazine.com
* Permanent Link
Mar. 8, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by SmallWorld
Beautiful, beautiful post! You made me all weepy at 7 a.m.!
* Permanent Link
Mar. 9, 2007 - Untitled Comment
Posted by fyftn
That was a very scary few days when she stopped breathing. I still vividly remember the noise she let out that alerted us she couldn't breathe. I remember flagging down the police officer to clear the way to the hospital. I remember the IV in her head and the sounds and smells of the ICU. She was a strong-willed little fighter then and she is a strong-willed beautiful little girl now. She is, and always will be, Daddy's favorite brown haired little girl.
* Permanent Link
Mar. 9, 2007 - I still have...
Posted by fyftn
... the little tuft of hair they cut when they were putting the IV in her head. It is wrapped in a piece of medical tape. I carried that in my wallet until she was almost 4 years old. I took it out after I destroyed my wallet in the ocean January 2006 and it is now safely tucked away in my nightstand

No comments: